My son had his school semiformal last week.
And we had a little argument..
Normally after a school event, kids would host an informal party. The best part of the semiformal is the informal party. My son decided he is not going for the informal party because there will be drugs and alcohol.
That is when the trouble started. I let Yaya go for the informal party knowing very well that there will be drugs and alcohol. She attended, had a good time..
I felt my son should attend the informal party. Because, this is how it is going to be..all the parties from now on..will have drugs, alcohol, unprotected sex etc. Instead of saying no, I am not attending, I wanted my son to say No, I am NOT doing drugs, or drinking or having unprotected sex. Instead of hiding, he should be able to stand up and say No.
I told him, he is going to the party.. but at any moment he felt unsafe or uncomfortable, call a cab and leave the venue. (it takes me an hour to get to the venue from my place)
These are the tips I gave my son
- Do not take drugs..even if you are being peer pressured . Say No.
- If you are drinking, make sure you poured it yourself and watch your drink always.
- If people are behaving irrationally, or starting a fight, leave immediately
- Do not get in to a car with a driver who consumed alcohol.
- Call the cops if you feel your life is in danger.
He attended the informal party and when I picked him up at 1 AM, the first thing he told me was
“Thank you Mom for forcing me to go for the informal party, I had a good time”
It turns out, only few people drank and smoked weed.. the rest just danced and ate pizza..